Capital Allowances Claims for Commercial Property

A Short Introduction to Curtis Plumstone Associates


Capital Allowances Claims for Commercial Property

Our capital allowances claims services for property / buildings are professional and highly competitive.

Find Out More


Land Remediation

Land remediation means restoring contaminated or long-term derelict land and is an effective way for businesses to reduce their tax liability.

Find Out More


Structures & Buildings Allowances Services

The Budget of 2018 announced the government will introduce a new Structures and Buildings …

Find Out More

Testimonials for Capital Allowances Claims for Commercial Property

Have you built, bought or developed a commercial property?

Do you own a commercial property either freehold or leasehold? Or have you spent a significant  amount of money developing a rented property?  Many of those who are entitled claim, have not claimed their full entitlement of capital allowances. Thus  they have missed out on tens, if not hundreds of thousands of pounds in legitimate tax relief. This type of tax relief applies to “Plant & Machinery Fixtures” in commercial properties and is allowable under the Capital Allowances Act 2001 (CAA2001). It is in lieu of depreciation which is not eligible for tax relief. While “Plant and Machinery (P&M) Fixtures” is the technically correct terminology you may also see reference to “Integral Features” and “Embedded Fixtures”. All these terms relate back to P&M Fixtures.

Who can claim capital allowances for commercial property?

If you are the owner of a commercial property (or have spent a significant amount developing a rented property) and pay tax in the U.K., it is worth investigating if your property expenditure qualifies. Also it does not matter whether the building is owned by an individual, partnership or through a limited company.  You may be the landlord or run your own trade at the property. Capital allowances for commercial property expenditure will apply if the building has “Plant & Machinery Fixtures” you will you use to support your business activity.

What in my commercial property can I claim against?

As well as the general equipment you use for your work such as computers or photocopiers, you can make capital allowances claims for commercial property expenditure against “Plant & Machinery Fixtures” in your building.

Examples of Plant & Machinery Fixtures

There is no definitive list of these “fixtures” and identifying all of them and valuing them appropriately is what makes us Capital Allowances Specialists. Here are some examples of what may qualify

  • lifts
  • electrical and heating systems
  • fitted kitchens
  • sanitary ware
  • fire alarms
  • CCTV systems
  • emergency lighting

You may already be claiming some level of capital allowances tax relief for things such as computers and lose furniture but by ignoring “Plant & Machinery Fixtures” you may have underestimated the extent of what you may claim. If this is investigated by us, you may well be entitled to a sizeable tax rebate and many further years of ongoing tax relief.

How do I make a capital allowances claim for my commercial property?

Curtis Plumstone Associates make it straightforward to claim capital allowances for your commercial property. We have a long history of making successful capital allowances claims on behalf of our clients. If you think your commercial property could be eligible, contact us via our Capital Allowances Estimate Form or by telephone phone or email. We will provide a capital allowances estimate for your commercial property and advise you on your options. Unlike other professions we do not charge for general advice and guidance. We only charge when we are able to make a substantial claim.

6 Reasons to Use Our Capital Allowances Claims Service.

  • You pay nothing if a worthwhile claim is not possible on your commercial property expenditure.
  • Your surveyor will be an in-house tax trained, capital allowances specialist.
  • We undertake any required negotiations with HMRC to finalise the claim.
  • No upfront charges such as a separate survey fee.
  • We maintain Professional Indemnity Insurance to the value of £1m per claim.
  • If  you sell your property in the future we will provide support and guidance on how to retain all the tax benefits.

Sign Up for Our Newsletter.

    Commercial Property Capital Allowances Claims – Case Studies

    Care Homes
    Industrial Properties
    Furnished Holiday Lets
    Hotels & Guest Houses
    Pubs & Restaurants